Winter coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nenders, Jan 30, 2014.

1. nenders

nenders Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    Massachusetts
    How do you keep your coop warm in the winter?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I don't. Because bad things happen when you add heat.

You want to keep your coop dry and draft free, while providing proper ventilation (this ensures that humidity the chickens produce from breathing and the poop escapes the coop). Humidity and Chicken manure is 75% water and is very high in nitrogen. As the nitrogen decomposes, it gives off ammonia gas. If that gas can not escape through proper ventilation, your chickens can develop respiratory problems.

Heat lamps cause MORE humidity in the coop rather than less.

Also, fire risk...

I have had a fire and lost over 200 animals. Someone the other day lost 24 calves to a barn fire from heat lamps.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    For the most part, chickens don't need supplemental heat. They are covered in this fabulous down comforter. They need a place with plenty of ventilation, but free of drafts. The heat of summer is the danger for chickens.

Chris

4. AlanW

AlanW Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2013

I have an oil-filled radiator. At 600 watts, it can keep my coop 15-20F above outside temps. It only kicks in when sub-freezing. Also, at 600 watts, the heating element is cool enough to touch.

Next winter, I don't think I'll add any heat. We had a couple young chicks in there when the cold season started this year, so we added some heat.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by