1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

winter dust bathing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naturababe, Dec 17, 2010.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    in the summer and fall the chickens made their own dust baths because they are outside free ranging all day. now the ground is frozen solid so what do you guys use for dust baths? i was thinking something like playground sand in a container in coop.

will that cure the poopy butts we are getting? it's just poop stuck to their downy butt feathers, not near their vents.

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    My current litter is sand, and even though parts are frozen the girls are still able to take their baths. I think a sandbox is a great idea!

3. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Ours use their dusty box all the time. I have sand, screened topsoil, peat moss, and some DE mixed up really well in it. They love it!

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read of people using all sorts of things. Whatever you have around that they can throw around. Wood ashes, leaf litter, sand -- anything.

5. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    We do deep litter and on windy snowy icy days when the hens don't go outside they take their dust baths in their deep litter bedding. We use pine bedding that we began fresh in midAutumn. It's layered about 8 inches now, more in places they've scratched it up and less where they've scratched almost to the floor, but I'll go out to find big scooped "holes" where they've rolled and dusted. Yes, I know their poop and who knows what else is dried in there, but they are contented as can be. I spread a little DE and StallDri when I began this year's deep litter so that is part of their "dust." ~G

6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yup, a couple of times a winter I'll toss another bag of shavings in the coop and they'll dust themselves in that. Actually they will use anyplace where the litter is light and fluffy to bathe.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I've got a litter box with some sand/dirt in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by