Winter Dust Baths

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MNChickens27, Oct 31, 2017.

1. MNChickens27

MNChickens27 In the Brooder

Oct 30, 2017
    Minnesota
    Hi All:

I live in Minnesota and am curious what people in Northern climates do to provide a dust bath for their chickens when it gets cold and snowy. Is there something I can buy at a Lowe's or Home Depot that would be good for them to bath in to help keep mites away?

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Free Ranging

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Get garden or potting soil(not the fertilizer enhanced type) and load it up dry into tub/pot/ container. My chickens just luv using my flower pots (large) in early spring when they get access to them. Later they dig holes and also like to use my firepit. (when not burning:lau)
    And above all.... :welcome

3. Molpet

Molpet Free Ranging

I use a large bus tub, like restaurants use to clear tables, filled with sand (I use the tube sand left over from last winter) and wood ash.
    Other people use the concrete mixing tubs from home depot and use soil, peat moss or from where they are bathing now.

4. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    I use a baby splash pool...... and sand, dirt from my yard and recently wood/cardboard ash

chickmom3941 and penny1960 like this.
  5. GinaNew York

GinaNew York Songster

May 22, 2012
    New York/CT
    20171028_141342.jpg here's my first year with a tire filled with sand and garden and poultry dust

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have an area that is part of the run under the coop.
    It stays dry 99% of the year.
    I take some dirt from there in the fall and put it in a tub in the coop.
    They only use the coop tub if the 'under-run' area freezes solid.

No need to buy anything, just get some dirt from where they usually dust bathe.
    Gather this dirt when it is dry, or it may will freeze inside the coop too.

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

My run is covered and stays pretty dry...It has sand in it..They have dug to China in areas...Lol
    A lady I know has a children's covered sandbox her Grandchildren out grew....

8. Snoozeys

Snoozeys Songster

Mar 14, 2015
    Sydney
    The best stuff is meant to be wood ash so if you know anyone with a combustion wood stove steal all their used ash !!!

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Right now I use dirt, the voles churn up nice dusty piles of it for me without clumps or rocks or roots. I shovel it into a $5 kitty litter pan. We burn wood for heat in the winter and I plan to top off their dust bath from our ash can going forward once the ground totally freezes.

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I used to use wood ash but this Flock has respiratory disease...Sand, dirt, works just as well...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: