1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Winter egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Norm2475, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Norm2475

Norm2475 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2008
    Virginia
    I bought my chicks in July and was told they would lay in about four months. Some people are telling me they wont lay until next spring. Can I add a light or heat or something to get them to lay in the winter months?

2. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    What breed(s) are they?

My Buff Orpington hens are 8 months old and are laying every other day. All my others are 14-20 weeks and are not laying. I keep a 60 w lamp on them during the night. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but I do it anyway.

3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, I have a light on from 5:00pm to 10:00pm (might be a little too long) but my girls started laying again [​IMG] They stopped laying in October and I thought there was something wrong. 2 weeks now with the "extra" light and we are laying again. Can't hurt to try right?? I have heard alot of success with the light.

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    They must have enough light to lay. That means at least 13 or 14 hours, for the best laying. Also, some breeds mature slower than others. Are you feeding them layer ration? If you feed them too much "treats" they can get fat and fat hens don't lay. Maybe you should post what breed they are. You'll probably see them start to lay soon. Maybe an egg here or there, and then come spring they'll lay full bore.

5. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We put light in the coop from 5 am-8am and we're still getting eggs. It's usually 10 or 11 a day from 12 hens. If you use light, be sure to offset it from the roosts so the girls don't get comb or feather burn.

[​IMG]

6. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Chickie Mamma-- How bright is the light you have? I don't have electricity, so lighting is a problem for me, but I might be able to go solar.

What if I bought like one of those 6 or 8 packs of solar landscaping lights, and put those on them each evening? They always fade out as night falls, so it would be like sunset, just later.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  7. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    I think I have a 40 watt bulb out there. I think any amount of light would be helpful. Its really dark in the woods here so it looks very bright when you look outside.

8. Mrs.Puff

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    yeah, we're in the timber too, so it gets dark a little earlier. I suppose I could ask Santa Mom for a set of those lights. Maybe a whole bunch might be bright enough. I have 9 hens old enough to lay, and get about 0-3 eggs a day. [​IMG] Did you see my edit on the previous post?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  9. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    I am using 40w energy savers from 4 to 8 am and getting 10-12 a day from 12 hens (one started laying since the lights have been installed).

10. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Does it matter if the light is on in the morning or in the evening? Whats the difference? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by