Winter Egg Slow Down?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moonnippie, Dec 24, 2014.

1. moonnippie

moonnippie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2014
    Seems odd, but ever since the solstice on Sunday our 8M old Columbian RockX hens have not been laying anywhere NEAR as productively as they were previously. We have 3 hens and one nesting box in the coop. They are either loose in the run every day or free ranging in our large yard. Normally we have been getting 2-3 eggs consistently for months. The last 5 days has been 1 egg a day, often times late in the day. There is a light in the coop on a timer for 7am-7pm. They are all eating well, all rooting and digging in their straw for the scratch I throw down and the water is changed a few times a week and has a submersible heater to keep it from freezing. This said, the weather has been all over the place here in S. Ont, warm then cold and very wet/damp. The ladies all look to be in good health, I've lifted tails and had a brief palpation and they all seem to be fine.

Is this a normal winter "slow" down even with the light? This is our first winter with chickens so we are new to all this.

thanks so much!

2. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Something else perhaps changed?

Your artificial lighting voids any decrease in daylight.

3. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Has something stressed them? Stress will stop egg-laying in a heart-beat. Examples of stress inducing activity for a hen could be:-

* Adding new hens or roosters to the flock

* Removing hens or roosters from the flock

* A predator attack or threat

* A new pet dog or cat being introduced to your home

* Renovations or even simple changes to their coop or run

* A change in their daily routine

* Moving to a new house

* Moving to a new coop

* Violent weather (storms and the like)

* The death of a head hen or rooster

* New human visitors to the property

* Illness, worms, mites or lice infestations

* One or more hens in the flock going broody

* Chicks being hatched

* A change in diet

Basically, anything that is new or different or not exactly the same as they are used to! I'd be interested to hear if any of this resonates with your girls.

- Krista

4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Great list!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by