Winter eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Annasg, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Annasg

Annasg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Can someone tell me if chickens stop or slack on their egg laying during the winter? And what are the signs of a chicken that is hatching in the springtime?

2. Flock Master64

Flock Master64 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2016
    Surrounded by the Amish
    Yes they usually do stop or slow down in the winter. Chickens need about 15 hours of light to lay an egg. Signs of egg hatching are when they go broody and their body temperature rises and they won't get off there nest very much and they squawk pretty loud if you get too close to them.

3. Annasg

Jun 13, 2013
    Would it be wise to put a timer on the lights? Would that help them to lay steadier?

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Unless I had a very steady routine, I'd not use a light without using a timer. If the lighting is inconsistent, it can mess with their cycles, even to the point of throwing them into an unplanned molt. Do a thread search for lighting, and you should find plenty of threads that will get you going. Generally, you increase the light a bit each week until the birds are up to 12 - 14 hours/day. (I'd increase 1 hour/week.)

5. Annasg

Jun 13, 2013
    Thank you so much Lazy Gardener. I have it all set up but I did not know about the graduating light. So I will unplug tonight and reset tomorrow and give them 5 extra minutes each day. I am new to this. Thank you so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by