Winter eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjhere, Sep 26, 2010.

1. jjhere

jjhere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2010
    Smidge north of Seattle
    Obviously a question from a new chicken owner. [​IMG]

I realize production slows with shorter days, but do they totally stop laying in winter? I've a BO, BR, RIR and Ancona.

Just curious. We're not planning on simulating daylight in their coop.

Thanks.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Often chickens in their first year of lay will continue during the winter. Not always, but often. Almost always chickens a year old or older will go into a molt and quit laying. Some will still lay some, but usually not much. It is somewhat breed dependent. The Black Australorp has the reputation for continuiing to lay in the winter, for example.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Short answer for those you have listed is "Yes, just not as often."

4. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    All my pullets of about 20 to 28 weeks started to lay on June the 21, when winter arrives to the Southern Hemisfere. They have been doing that since then to now, spring time. And in Central Chile we had the coldest winter in 98 years, with many many nigths below zero.

5. pwappers

pwappers Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2010
    Our girls continue to lay through winter -- they are all 2.5 years old. At least they have the last couple years. We keep a heat lamp in the coop and let them range in the afternoon. It slows a bit, but still pretty good amounts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by