Winter Eggs?

RedDrgn

Anachronistic Anomaly
11 Years
May 11, 2011
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Our flock of five (australorp, barred rock, dominique, easter egger, and a welsume) is 12 weeks old today. It doesn't take a mathematician to figure out that they won't hit egg-laying age before November...maybe even December if some turn out to be late bloomers.

There is not, nor will be any artificial light in the coop (they can do whatever their hormones tell them to do with whatever light nature provides). So will they start laying with the onset of winter? If so, will it take longer for them to start? I understand that they probably won't lay much, just trying to get a better idea of what I might expect.
smile.png

Happy Birthday to your flock! My girls were 12 weeks yesterday and I am wondering the same thing. I will have a light for them and a small heat source as well since we get some nasty winters up here in NY. I am hoping to get a few good eggs before winter sets in.

Without light they may take longer to start but lay they will.
It's not a problem, it will give their bodies time to prepare.
At that age this time of year you might find a couple kick in like normal and the rest start when days start to lengthen.
Without added light, the next best option is big windows on the east side of the building at roost height.
That makes optimal use of natural light.

Quote:
I just kept staring at your avatar and could not, for the life of me, figure out what it was at first. Then I was like, "OH! LOL!"

Hehe, thanks. Happy hatchie day to yours as well!
big_smile.png
I will pass your birthday wishes on to them with their treats tonight.
big_smile.png
It can get pretty cold (and considering the past few years) really snowy here as well, but their coop and run are right up against the house, sheltered from the prevailing winds by the house, and from the snow by a 2nd story porch - we've got a digital remote thermometer/hygrometer to monitor coop conditions so we're hoping all will be well.

Mmmmm...eggs!
big_smile.png

Quote:
We're in no rush for the eggs, but are excited about the prospect!
big_smile.png
We'd just rather not push them; let them do things in their own time. This is our first flock, so the DH and I are ever learning!

They have two windows by the roost and once the leaves are off the trees they'll have sunlight most of the day (except late afternoon). Hopefully that'll help with warming them up a bit through the day.

Last edited:
Quote:
They get first light regardless of leaves.
smile.png
Without the leaves, they'll get it from then through about 3 in the afternoon. In the summer, they're in the shade from noon on (which works great).

Back
Top Bottom