Winter feed and grit

skunknchatter

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Northern Utah
I have two laying hens who are on laying feed. Do I need to change their diet in the winter when they quit laying? Also my indian runner duck lives with my hens (thinks he's a chicken) and he just eats what they eat. Is that okay? I don't know how to seperate their feed if I need to feed him different. Also I've heard duck pellets mentioned. Anyone know where to get them. My local feed store thinks I'm crazy. And grit. Will the grit I use for my cockatiel work or does it need to be bigger. And should I just mix it in with their food? In the summer I don't give any because they are free range but now we have 9" of base snow. Thanks

Funny how we all worry so much about every detail.
big_smile.png

My guess would be that they need little to no grit if all they are getting is pellets/crumbles. I think they do need the grit if they are given whole/hard grains.

Melanie is right. They don't need grit if they are only eating a commercial feed.

You don't need to change their feed in winter, but you might look into the Purina Flock Raiser. It is for a mixed flock of poultry.

Back
Top Bottom