Winter feed for laying hens

hagoesch

Songster
Mar 11, 2020
Southeastern WI
Hello from soon-to-be very cold and snowy southeastern Wisconsin! For winter feeding of our six laying hens + one rooster I planned to continue laying crumbles, augmenting with black oil sunflower seeds to increase protein and healthy fats to combat cold and the pathetic molt they're in right now. They are about 10 months old, so this is their first *real* winter as adult chickens. Will the laying feed (16%) and BOSS be sufficient? I read some folks offer game bird feed in winter, but I'm not sure I want to introduce something new they may not do well with (then it gets wasted) or that could potentially be harmful if it's too much protein. Already have a massive bag of the BOSS and would really like to add that to their daily ration instead... how much per day per bird would you recommend? I occasionally scramble up an egg or two to give everyone in the afternoon before going in to roost when it's going to be wicked cold overnight.

Thanks so much for the chicken wisdom, friends!
Cheers,
Heather

I feed 20% All Flock Pellets, with occasional corn added to the feeder. Find putting a bit more fat on them helps them get through winter better.
I don't feed them unhealthy amounts of corn, just a cup, or two added to the feeder occasionally.

I feed a 20% all flock as well, because I have a cockerel. I figure that's plenty of protein, so if treats dilute that a bit, they're still getting enough. This time of year, I'm leaning toward BOSS, squash (and its seeds), and any greens I can find for treats. I'm also growing fodder blocks for them.

It's supposed to be very windy tomorrow. They probably won't come outside much. I'll give them some BOSS to hunt for in the coop.

I feed 20% All Flock Pellets, with occasional corn added to the feeder. Find putting a bit more fat on them helps them get through winter better.
I don't feed them unhealthy amounts of corn, just a cup, or two added to the feeder occasionally.

Guess I didn't realize All Flock was up at 20%! Thanks for adding that bit, and for your corn recs. Cheers!

I feed a 20% all flock as well, because I have a cockerel. I figure that's plenty of protein, so if treats dilute that a bit, they're still getting enough. This time of year, I'm leaning toward BOSS, squash (and its seeds), and any greens I can find for treats. I'm also growing fodder blocks for them.

It's supposed to be very windy tomorrow. They probably won't come outside much. I'll give them some BOSS to hunt for in the coop.

Seems like AF might be the way to go! I'm also offering squash/seeds periodically as well, and will start a few trays of fodder once winter comes on. How much of the BOSS do you offer daily? And of the fodder? Thank you!

I feed a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower 18% or a All-Flock crumble 20% year round with a separate container of Oyster Shells.
20201031_055028_resized.jpg

I give them a daily treat of Scratch Grains scattered in their pen, 1 Tbsp daily per Hen, 2 Tbsp daily during fall/winter season, half mid-morning, half early afternoon.
20201113_093031_resized.jpg

GC

Treats should be no more than 10% of their intake. How to figure that? I'm not sure my method is very scientific, but it works for me. I have four birds, and for BOSS, I sprinkle about 3 tablespoons of BOSS on the ground. For squash, I cut one small squash in half and put both halves in the run. I basically figure no more than 2-3 tablespoons of treat per bird per day. I don't give them any corn; if I get some, I'll knock that down to 1 TBS, since it is really just candy for them.

I've just started with fodder. I don't have any special sprouting trays. I used small margarine containers and about 1/2 teaspoon of alfalfa seed. When the sprouts were about two inches tall, I gave them both containers. Since they love to scratch up grass and weeds, I thought that would be a good amount. I didn't find any left when I looked an hour later. :)

My next fodder project is chia. I got a 5 lb bag of chia seeds at Costco. Should last a looooong time. We'll see how they like it. I put about a tablespoon of dirt in the bottom of the containers so the chia can grow a little taller.

Back
Top Bottom