Winter Feeding ideas

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ddowdy2424, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ddowdy2424

ddowdy2424 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Western Colorado
    We live in snow country and during winter my chickens make a huge mess of their feed pellets inside the coop.
    I would love feedback from others who have ideas on feeding.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

What I do is to buy the 12 lb hanging feeder and set it inside a rubber fortex feed tub (black). This greatly reduces waste. Others use a tall oil pan 3-4 inches high and a little bigger around than the feeder.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/388100/how-can-i-not-waste-chicken-feed/10
    see post #17 and if you do this your chickens will be not able to waste a thing but you might get some stinkeye

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I feed only what they consume in a an hour or two, twice a day. That's the only solution for virtually zero waste I've ever found. I've tried about every feeder in every position you can think of. When coop bound birds are bored, which is understandable, all kinds of things "amuse" them. Beaking out feed seems to be one of those things.

Some of the feeders that people have made seem quite promising, however. Most are PVC pipe and only allow a small hole to feed, apparently. Too small for beaking out feed.

4. ddowdy2424

ddowdy2424 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Western Colorado
    thanks

5. ddowdy2424

ddowdy2424 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Western Colorado
    Fred's Hens, Thanks for your input. I too have been trying a variety of feeders and will check into the PVC idea. Appreciate your feedback.

6. ddowdy2424

ddowdy2424 New Egg

Feb 15, 2012
    Western Colorado
    Chickenaresweet, Thank you for your reply. I have tried a version this, but this idea is better than what I did. Appreciate your feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by