Winter feeding/watering

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kidsnchicks, Aug 2, 2010.

1. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    In the winter, do you still open the coop up to let them outside? Im guessing a lot depends on the weather? Also is there a good way to keep water thawed or do you just need to take water out more ofter? Do we need to have the heat light on in the coop during the winter or does that also depend on the weather? It seems silly to think of this stuff when its 80 degrees and more outside but I want to have things ready and not be running around last minute!

Thank you

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    In the winter I just open the chicken door for them. Do put a warmer under the water though. The birds generate enough of their own heat to be comfortable. The temp in the coop is warmer than the outside when I walk in in the Morning.

3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Everything is realtive.

Where are you? How cold does it get? How much snow do you get? How much wind do you get?

What is your coop and run like? Are you more worried about temperature or ventiliation/dampness?

Are you worried about eggs freezing?

How much frostbite are you willing to let you birds experience? (sounds neglectful and horrid. but my rooster lost the points off the tips of his comb and never seemed to miss a beat or be in any pain. FEET are an entirely different matter. We are planning to do more insulation this year and are concerned about getting the ventilation right.... [​IMG]

I have seen water put in rubber pans and the ice block is dumped out and the bowl re-filled twice a day. Basically they have liquid water twice a day. I understand they get used to the routine.

I have heard of feeding snow.

I have used heated dog watering dishes.

There are many posts on winter flock care. Just browse around....

4. kidsnchicks

kidsnchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    We live in central Iowa, we get it all, snow, wind, blizzards the works! We converted a small section on the back of the garage into a coop, the door leading out to the run is on the south side. We do have a heat light that we can put in if needed, but I don't want to get them dependant on it if they will be ok with out it. We can "wrap" the run outside, like we do with the dog kennel to block most of the wind ect. Just didn't know if there were any tricks that I should be aware of,lol.

5. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    wrapping the run seems like a good idea, they can take cold but not drafts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by