Winter Feeding

citrusdreams

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Ok, prompted by another post, I am curious: what and how do you feed your flock in the winter?

And, I don't know if it's true or not, but why would someone say it's not good to feed layer mash in the winter? I have not found this to be true and I feed them layer mash free choice alllllll year. I *know* you guys aren't feeding them scratch exclusively in the winter....so?

I usually think I know it all when it comes to caring for my animals
lau.gif
, but I had to ask.

I feed mine egg mash along with kitchen scraps. I've heard that it's not good to feed to roosters but I only have one rooster which I'm not going to separate out just so he won't get any mash. He eats it right along with the hens with no ill effect. This winter I'm adding something of my own to their winter feed. I have a bed of comfrey which I have started harvesting this year. It is the Bocking #14 strain which was developed as a forage for livestock and poultry. I chopped the first batch after it dried in my wood chipper. It chopped up nicely except for a few bigger segments of stem. It has the highest protein content next to alfalfa plus lots of other good stuff. I have already fed it fresh chopped to chicks and they love it.

I will have enough by the end of the summer to fill at least two 55 gal drums with the dried, chopped comfrey. That should go a long ways mixed along with egg mash. Every year I expand my comfrey bed and find more and more uses for it. Right now I am preparing a liquid fertilizer from comfrey for my tomatoes. It is supposed to be the ideal fertilizer for tomatoes because of it high potash content.

I feed regular layer feed, but this past winter I added soaked alfafa cubes everyday. I just threw them in the run & left them scratch and pick at the little bits. I only have 12 chickens and a 50 lb. bag of cubes lasted almost 6 months. I soak them in hot water so they were warm when they went in. I also just give a little more sunflower seed in the winter.

I feed layer pellets and give them some molasses-based horse feed once a week. I also shred cabbage for fresh plant enzymes and give them leftover tomato, and cukes when I have them. Oh and for an evening treat, a little wild bird seed to get them inside. I also hang a block of wild bird suet to give them a boost when winter sets in- give the feathers and amazing sheen! We also have an electric dog bowl to keep the water from freezing.

They eat a lot more in winter, of course- about three times what they eat now, so preparing by having enugh feed on hand is important, especially if the roads are bad.
Some thoughts-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-seasonal-concerns

Last edited:
I will be growing kale this year to do as a winter harvest for my chickens. We usually stay fairly green around here unless it snows. I hope to free range as long as possible before I have to do a lock up for winter.

I've never had problems feeding layer through the winter. None. Zip. Nada. Zilch. I do like to also give mine some warm, tasty treats and something high in energy like cracked corn to keep them nice and warm throughout the colder months.

The diet should be pretty consistent year round. I don't see any reason to change feed in winter. If anything changes to diet can cause stress.

Ok, go ahead and laugh, but I'm canning squash and tomatos to give them this winter! Hope to have some other things from the garden, and some apples and pears as well. In the past years, I fed my potbelly pig canned things through out the winter with her regular feed. Figure since she passed away and the chickens love these things, I'll continue it for them.

And what's this about kale? I had a HUGE mixed greens area planted early this Spring. The chickens LOVED it! It has since gone to seed, and I pulled what was up, and replanted that area with corn. However, if those things will come back up for a fall harvest, my chickens would be grateful!!!

Wondering if they will eat turnips and turnip greens? If so, I'll plant some of those for this fall. Will brocolli do a fall harvest as well? They loved the Spring one!!

Kale grows from fall into winter here and many other places. So it makes a good late crop. I hope you gave the chickens all those greens that went to seed.

Back
Top Bottom