Winter feeding

richje100

Songster
10 Years
May 20, 2009
UK, Wales
Hi guys,

Does anyone change the feeding habits during the cold winter months? someone told me they wont be eating much laying pellets as they go off the lay (plus they are moulting). The do have access to vegitation (weeds, grass, tree trunks for bugs etc...) but also a plentifull supply of pellets

Thinking of making suet balls with bird seed and cracked corn and hang them from the ceiling. Have plenty of lard from a butchered pig. Think maybe it will give them something to play with and some "hot" food. Any input would be appreciated.
idunno.gif

I dont think that the statement of corn raising temps of the bird is a problem with winter feeding. It is more applicable to climates where the outside temp is quite high, and where the elevation of temperature could cause harm/death to the birds.
In cooler climates probably not an issue.

prblem with my birds & corn, they dont seem to like it very much. ive mixed a little in with the pellets in the past & they seem to leave the corn

This is my 1st winter with them but I plan on feeding them like I currently do!
It's just not going to be as much fun to go see them twice a day like it was this past summer, it will become more of a "chore" with the colder weather!! I really dislike Cold weather and being out in it!!

Back
Top Bottom