Winter Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bald k9, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hello,My friend told me that I shouldnt leave feed out for the chickens in the winter because it will draw mice and snakes ,and says I neded to go and trow feed out twice a day in the winter, does this sound right ,or is there a different way you should feed in the winter? I let them have constant food during the summer? any help ? thank you [​IMG]

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

When we left feed out at all times ,we got a real rodent population. Now we feed 2x a day & rodents are gone.

3. Plain Old Dee

Plain Old Dee Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Seminole, OK
    We leave mash out for our girls 24/7. I haven't noticed any problems with mice - but we have scads of barn cats. It's too cold in the winter for snakes, and they don't eat chicken feed anyway.

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    A chicken wants to eat when it is hungry, not only when it is fed. My chickens have food available 24/7/365 and plenty of fresh water. A mouse that goes after the feed is more protien for any good chicken. They are better mousers than most cats.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    If you live in a cold climate, chickens need to be able to go to roost at night with full crops so they can generate heat during the night. I would not be restricting food during winter myself.

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I leave feed in the coop 24/7 I also feed scratch grains & corn 2x daily. I would not limit feed in the winter, as they need to increase intake to stay warm.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by