Winter feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mimi and the Peeps, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mimi and the Peeps

Mimi and the Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Fort Gratiot
    I have 13 hens that are totally free range. I give them scratch, and was told that they have enough protein from the bugs and critters they eat. But come winter, do they have to be supplemented with another grain? They will begin laying shortly.

2. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Most people on here will tell you they need to have some sort of feed, not just scratch. Come winter you will need to feed them around .3 lbs a day of feed, as they won't find much of anything depending on were you live. Someone else will elaborate further, they will probably have more knowledge too. Good luck though.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    Alot depends on where you live. Here in the deep South I feed Shelled Corn to the free rangers. No, I don't add anything more in the winter than at any other time. Why? The mice will make up for the lack of bugs and I have plenty of greens/grass/legumes for them to eat.

If you are in an area of snow, then that's a whole different ballgame. I would surely change the feed and up the protein to at least 16%.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I would feed them some chicken feed. Mine free range but also have chicken feed. they need that for their diet.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by