Winter feeding

Mimi and the Peeps

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Gratiot
I have 13 hens that are totally free range. I give them scratch, and was told that they have enough protein from the bugs and critters they eat. But come winter, do they have to be supplemented with another grain? They will begin laying shortly.

Most people on here will tell you they need to have some sort of feed, not just scratch. Come winter you will need to feed them around .3 lbs a day of feed, as they won't find much of anything depending on were you live. Someone else will elaborate further, they will probably have more knowledge too. Good luck though.

Alot depends on where you live. Here in the deep South I feed Shelled Corn to the free rangers. No, I don't add anything more in the winter than at any other time. Why? The mice will make up for the lack of bugs and I have plenty of greens/grass/legumes for them to eat.

If you are in an area of snow, then that's a whole different ballgame. I would surely change the feed and up the protein to at least 16%.

I would feed them some chicken feed. Mine free range but also have chicken feed. they need that for their diet.

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/1/1-5/Lisa_Jansen_Mathews.html
this
is a nice article

I'd offer either an elaborate mixed grain and seed mix (see my BYC page) that you research carefully (esp. protein content), or chicken feed with at least 16% protein as saladin said. Scratch for treats, certainly.

Oyster shell to give them calcium would be prudent as well.

welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom