Winter Feeding

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by melisajov, Nov 18, 2013.

1. melisajov

melisajov Out Of The Brooder

Winter feeding:

I currently hang water and feeders in open outside but I have noticed the water freezes at night and if there is feed in the feeder and it rains or snows it gets wet and mushy.

My coop that they sleep in is small but I think I could hang a feeder inside. How do I do this and what do you suggest. They are use to it being outside with the. I have a chicken fenced area around the coop and that is where their feeders are hung by. Could I cover the top of the fenced area or what are some suggestions? Anything to help!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Without seeing your set up it is difficult to advise. I don't ever have feed outside for exactly the reason you mentioned - when it rains or snows, a whole feeder full of food is ruined. So, I keep my feed inside where it stays dry, and my water outside so they can't spill it in their bedding and cause mold to form.

If you look at my "My coop" page and scroll towards the bottom, you can see an example of a gutter feeder that is installed against a wall of the coop where it takes up very little space, yet holds a lot of food and is deep enough they don't bill it out. Perhaps switching to something like this would be an option for you, rather than trying to hang a feeder in a small space?

3. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I haven't seen your gutter feeder but it sounds like my half-PVC pipe trough feeders screwed to the coop. They do give more space for the birds to eat. I have one in the outdoor brooder and in the coops, the coop ones are under the covered part of the run. I would suggest only putting enough feed for the day in it so there will be nothing at night to attract rodents or pests. (Just a note- I give moist/wet feed daily so your chickens may like the rained on feed so long as it isn't molded or days old sitting in a feeder that holds more than a days worth:))

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That's an interesting point but its something I've never been able to understand. When I give my birds a mash they are all over it, jumping in the trough, each bird trying to get more than their fair share. Yet if food is left out and gets rained on, they won't touch it. Go figure. [​IMG]

5. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I just got a picture in my head of going out after a good rain and pretending to mix the rain-soaked feed so my Russian Orloffs will eat it;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by