Winter floor for the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by otterbrook, Oct 9, 2010.

1. otterbrook

otterbrook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    We have a coop on wheels that is approximately 13 feet by 15 feet. The floor is wire screen, which works well in the summer, but we want to provide a cozier floor for the winter. We were planning on laying plywood for the winter, but plywood is heavy and hard to manage. So, I had an idea to get a strong tarp that is a little bigger than the floor itself and lay it on the wire screen. Then I would secure it around the sides by hooking it to the walls using grommets and s-hooks. Once the tarp is in, I would add a thick layer of wood chips. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Straw is what I use in the winter, hlps kep em warmer then pine shavings IMO.

3. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I would take off the wire put the coop on the ground and use straw and when winter is over till it all under add a little soil and plant something!

4. otterbrook

Mar 20, 2008
    Straw is a good idea - does sound warmer than shavings. We use straw in the nesting boxes also. We were thinking of piling bales of straw or hay around the base of the coop. Unfortunately, the coop cannot be put on the ground - but were were considering piling bales of straw or hay around the base of the coop so that the area under the coop is protected from the elements somewhat....

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Quote:I think that sounds like a great idea. I would layer wood pellets and DE with the shavings. That's what I do in my coop year round and love it.

I don't like straw or hay in the coop or run because it doesn't obsorb moisture and I've heard that mites can hide in it.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Where are you otterbrook? Any predators to worry about? What about a false floor from thin plywood , above the wire, which you remove after spring cleanout?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  7. otterbrook

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:We are in upstate NY but have not had to worry about predators. We have a big dog and a movable electric fence. We were originally going to do the thin plywood, but I thought it might be awkward to get into/out of the coop so I was trying to come up with alternatives...

8. SSO202

SSO202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Hartwood, VA 22406
    How about a roll of linoleum flooring...cut it to fit tight and you could fold or bend it to get it in the coop. You could then use a combination of pine shavings and DE layered over top of it. You could add some support underneath the wire to stabilize it for the winter, but probably wouldn't be needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by