Winter Food

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Meg-hen, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Meg-hen

Meg-hen New Egg

Nov 13, 2011
    I have 9 rhode island reds and 7 barred rocks. I am new to owning chickens and we just got a snow fall of 8 inches. It dawned on me that besides the grain, they will have nothing else to eat. Is there anything besides grain and water that I should give them in the winter? Thanks. [​IMG]

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Your use of term grain. Does it mean same a formulated feed or do mean simply a mixture of grains?

I try to include table scraps in morning and in addition to the quality formulated feed, a little scratch grains and even BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) are provided. I also like to have handy something like alfalfa hay to provide to some greens with fiber. The BOSS and hay help maintain normal consistancy of the poo.

Be prepared to increase the amount of feed availble as energy requirments increase as temperature decreases.

3. vclark321

vclark321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Bonney Lake
    I have freeze dried mealworms which I squeeze in my hand so they break up into smaller bites. I get some crickets from the local pet store for some activity, a little corn, lots of greens and almost over the hill fruits and veggies. Apple sauce, cottage cheese, yogurt (major treats) some high protein wet cat food (about 2 tablespoons) I have a board laying down in the dirt under leaves and every other day I lift it up and let the girls eat up the earthworms they find and tug out of the ground. My chickens are not too picky, but they would really prefer if I sat and hand fed them! [​IMG]

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Are you only feeding scratch grains? If so, I would switch over to a complete feed, like a layer feed. Some people feed a game bird feed or something like Flock Raiser and just supply oyster shell in place of the extra calcium that a layer feed provides. They need more protein, vitamins and minerals than plain grain can provide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by