Winter for Ducks and Chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rainstorm, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Whats something affordable and easy to make for 34 ducks and about 20 Chickens to keep them warm this winter? Any ideas or anything? Dont wanna lose any I lost almost all of them last winter due to my poor construction.

Would these be good ideas?

2 of those truck bed toppers on the ground with the back glass removed (for entrace) and alotttt of hay in there with one of those big heavy duty tarps Covering the whole thing but the entrace.
    Or.
    in the corner of the pen put 2 ply boards sitting up right side my side (a teepee type of thing) and just cover the back and most of the front and put hay in there?

I need more ideas! [​IMG]

I dont have a coop or run. My pen is just posts in the ground with wire around em making a yard for em.

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    How did you lose so many last year in Florida?

3. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:All I can figure is cold got them, it was during winter at its coldest point, lost 3 or 4 ducks and a couple bantams (didnt have much then)

Had them in big wire pens with big tarps over em.
    (I had no construction skills)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My ducks had no shelter whatsoever last winter. They are the reason the pond didn't completely freeze over. On the coldest nights they were in the water. I doubt it was cold that got your ducks, they are pretty hardy.

ETA: If they had drafts though, that could surely do the bantams in, I just don't see how ducks can die from the cold in Florida, unless it got really cold all of a sudden.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  5. Rainstorm

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Still need some ideas for shelter. They might be hardy but I cant stand seeing the poor things in the cold

6. tigerlilly2588

tigerlilly2588 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    murfreesboro
    I would suggest building a real coop...nothing fancy if you cant afford it...but that really would be the best thing. You can get 4 ft. by 8 ft. sheets of OSB board at Lowes for $6 per sheet and 2 by fours are around $2 each. Jsut make yourself a frame with the 2 by 4's and then screw a board into each side and the top. Then you can either cover it with a tarp or spray paint it. Good luck with whatever you decide!

7. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    I agree with building a coop. you don't have to be construction savvy. If you don't feel comfortable building, I would suggest looking into a LARGE LARGE dog house type of thing. I've also seen people use old kids play houses (although it seems it might get too hot in there and being in florida, i'd say pass on that) You can find an old dog house on craigslist maybe. Even if the birds never use it, at least it would be there. I'd say, from my experience make/ buy it bigger than you would originally think. (we had to build an addition)
    You may even be able to post something here on BYC and ask someone if they build or would be willing to build something for you in your general area. Might cost a bit more than you'd want but you'd give them the shelter they need! (try doing that on craigslist as well)
    Hope that helps!!!!!

8. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen posts where someone has used the cap to the bed of a pickup truck as a shelter...that would probably be better than pieces of scrap lumber teepee'd in the run. I'm not sure what type of predators you have in your area, but we lost 2 ducks to weasels. They were not mutilated at all, just some missing feathers around the neck. No blood, no gore. Maybe you lost birds to something like this last year. If this is the case, you really need to make a secure building to house the chickens and ducks at night time. Good luck!

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

10. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    if you don't have too many predators how about a lean-to like you see for campers... solid back.. solid slanted top.. and wire on sides and front.. if you can afford it try to make solid sides with left over wood for rainy protection and just leave the front open or cover with a tarp when it gets too stormy for protection

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by