Winter free ranging space?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Peachesbabychick, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, we just got our first snow, 4 in, today and my girls won't go out into their run. It is uncovered but I thought they would at least go out for a little while. So I moved all 7 of them to play in the hay shed. It isn't very big and I am worried that they won't have enough space. It has an over hang roof and is not enclosed either. I just want them to be able to have fun and be dry during the day.

Am I worrying to much? Will they be ok?

Thanks

2. 6chickens in St. Charles

6chickens in St. Charles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    St. Charles, IL
    THIS year, I made a covered run:
    [​IMG]

...because LAST year, they were bored:
    [​IMG]

...and spent a good part of the icy snow covered days decorating my porch. They'd poke their heads up in the windows, "Can we come in? What're you watching? Is that rated G? PG?"

Once in a while we'd let them in to poke around, but within 5 minutes they'd be panting and headed back to the door "OMG its like, so freakin HOT in here, we'z haz freshest air outzide!" Somebody dropped off a few bales of hay and the chickens were delighted to spread that around, but dangit if it didn't snow a good foot on top of that so they were back to bored.

This year, I have this covered run, and plans for entertainment in there. I also have plans for a pathway to the polar opposite side of our lot, to which they can venture for another favorite space, as they've recently learned they can roost up in the branches of our giant evergreen tree, bopping happily up the ladder-like branches to infinity, and beyond....there's usually a few feet around the base of that tree which the snow does not reach. Usually.

Well that's how it happens here. I hope you get a very many, very useful ideas! I'll be watching as I need more too. [​IMG]

3. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    They will be fine, it is just new to them. Kind like whn they get out in the coop for the first time. They are prey animals so they are VERY weary of their surroundings and don't care to much for change. When they realize the snow isn't going to morph into the evil chicken eater monster, they will play, eat and scratch around in it. Unless it is very deep, then they wont be bothered with it. Kind fun t watch them fall through the crust though...

4. Peachesbabychick

Thankyou, I just don't want them to get frostbite!

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    Mine were completely freaked out by their first snow, stopped dead in their tracks when I opened the run door:

[​IMG]

Now, they're all, "whatev":

[​IMG]

They adjusted VERY quickly.

6. Peachesbabychick

Ok, well at least you have a covered run! Will mine be okay without one? Just being inside their coop till about noon, then playing in the hay shed?

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Mine have a covered areas and LOTS of open areas, more often than not they are out in the open rummaging around. They go in the coop for a nibble or to lay and then run out again. they like to be outside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by