1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Garden

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Barred Babies, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    What does everyone do to get their garden ready for winter???

I seriously neglected mine this spring & summer due to other projects and it got just choked full of weeds so for the past couple of weeks I've been weeding and mulching all the beds!! SO glad I'm finally done.

[​IMG]

Now to start working on the sorely neglected flower beds!!

Missi

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

wow. how many beds do you have?

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I have GOT to get some raised beds going for carrots next spring... Yours look great. Our garden is just a regular old plowed garden...we just turned the dirt over...lol.

4. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    chickensducks&agoose :

wow. how many beds do you have?

I have 16 4 x 8 beds & 1 3 x 20 bed.​

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I was late planting this fall once again, I'll probably just put my spring garden in the ground mid-January.

BUT... I've been burying lots of chicken poop...

6. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Thanks.. I've been wanting to do carrots and just haven't yet! There on the list for the spring. [​IMG] When I keep up with my beds it's so much easier to keep them weeded out than when we have a big plowed garden.

7. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:That's great you can start so early. I usually start in early March and just have to watch in case that last freeze comes though. I have 3 beds that I have not put soil in yet and I think that's what I'm going to start doing with all my poop. These chickens have just completly torn up my compost this year!!

8. crazy goose lover

crazy goose lover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    Athens Illinois
    I got mine ready for winter today. Turned all the ground, put a layer of mulched leaves, a layer of wet straw and then a think layer of rabbit waste compost. In the spring I will retill it all.

9. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:That sound great. I'm still waiting for leaves to drop. That's usually what I use but since I was doing it kinda early I had to go ahead and use reg mulch. Our trees are barely starting to loose their leaves and we won't have an abundunce untill prob the begining of December!! I have 3 beds that I still need to fill with soil, etc. I think I'm going to start filling it up with chicken poop and put the soil on top! Should be some great beds come spring!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  10. Becky89*

Becky89* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    pennsylvania
    My mom uses Plasticculture in the ten acres that she farms and every year around this time we are pulling out the tomatoe stacks and all the plastic that was used. We use the high tunnel for storeage because she doesn't have time for winter cover crops right now..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by