Winter "Greens" - Rabbit pellets for chicks??

Cottage Rose

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Mid west Michigan
Can you give poultry rabbit pellets which are mainly made from alfalfa? I got to thinking this might be a convenient way to get some greens into my late fall hatched chicks but didn't know if there was any additives in rabbit pellets that poultry shouldn't have.
I'm not even sure they will eat them but the pellets are small enough.
Just had another thought...how about Calf Manna?

Also post any tips on winter supplements you use
that don't requite alot of prep.
I'm busy and need ideas
for supplemental foods I can offer my poor sun and grass deprived chicks.
Don't have time for making sprouts, chopping veggies
etc. on most days.

Last edited:
i read on another thread about folks giving their chickens alfalfa pellets, not the rabbit pellets as they do have additives in them. The suggestion was to put them in warm water to hydrate them. Well, i tried it yesterday and my girls would have none of it. i guess they're spoiled with the endive and escarole i buy them at the grocery store. i too was hoping for an inexpensive way to get greens into them.

Quote:
I like to use a head of cabbage.
You do not have to do anything to it.. My flock of 36 chickens can completely put one away in less than 10 minutes.. the only reason I cut it into quarters is to keep the chickens from running over each other to get to it.. they are like pirahannas..

around St Patrick's day you can get cabbage at bagain prics. I usually buy a couple of cases right after the holiday when the grociers are trying to get rid of their surplus..

I read in a very old farming magazine to hang a head of cabbage from the ceiling just a little higher than the chickens could reach. they will jump and peck at it and this gives them exercise. that I have never done, though..

I read in a very old farming magazine to hang a head of cabbage from the ceiling just a little higher than the chickens could reach. they will jump and peck at it and this gives them exercise. that I have never done, though..

WAY COOL idea!!!
Thanks!
Anybody else got some tips?​

Thanks much for that info.
big_smile.png

I knew about the alfalfa cubes but didn't know you could plain alfalfa pellets with no additives.
I will have to look into it.

I bought a 50# bag of alfalfa cubes. I soak a few of them on warm water till they are broken up and soggy. Put it out in dishes and they turned up their beaks at first. But then I looked out and they were having at it. I buy whatever is cheapest out here... collards, turnips, kale and trade that off. Parsely too... they love that stuff. I wish I could get together with a produce guy here, but they all look at me like I'm crazy so I have to make do. For Christmas they got broccoli!

I noticed one day at the store that the produce guy was pulling off the outer leaves on cabbage and the idea struck me to ask what they did with them and would they consider letting me either have them or buy them cheap...

He said they HAD to throw them away and that they couldn't sell or give them to me for my flock.....

I whip up some oatmeal once a week and in-between they get leftover veggies and the occasional cabbage.....

I'll have to try the alfalfa cubes... my bunnies don't think much of them but if the chickies like it....

we have a few big chain grocery stores in town.. none of them will even sell their "spoiled" produce, mush less give it away.. they feel that it takes away from selling the good stuff inside the store.. tight wads.. maybe you might have better luck with a small mom and pop grocer.. If you share the bounty with them, your chances are better.. I used to get whey from a small cheese factory for my pigs. when I butchered the cheese maker got several nice roasts and chops.. tit for tat pays off..

Back
Top Bottom