Winter hardy, early-molting breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by janinepeters, Dec 29, 2010.

1. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I live in Massachusetts, and choose not to heat my coop. It is well insulated and provides excellent protection from wind and precipitation. I am interested in hearing your thoughts about the best breed for such a situation. I've been going with the heavy breeds with small thick combs, but some of these full-figured girls tend to molt late....sometimes in December/January, when it's really cold here, and, unless the molt progresses rapidly, they appear to suffer. I am not crazy about putting a late molter in intensive care for the winter.

I'm down on chanteclers these days, because one just died due to a full, very slow, winter molt. I've had only 3 chanteclers but all three were poor layers and just did not seem very robust. Is this consistent or not consistent with your own experience?

So far, the winners in my book have been easter eggers (though the occasional one molts late), and bantum brahmas (though my sample size is limited on this breed).

So, what are your thoughts about a no nonsense, early molting, winter hardy breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by