Winter Hatching

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Uncle Bones, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Uncle Bones

Uncle Bones New Egg

Jan 18, 2016
    It is Jan 2016 in Mountain Home Arkansas. Night time Temp's are running 15 to 40 degrees. One of my hens is setting on an egg. This is her first time. Can she be successful hatching and caring for her offspring in these cold temp's?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    She can be successful temperature wise but first time broodies are fickle and may screw up. .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    Hatching in the cold months is a risky business. I do it, sometimes I loose and sometimes I am rewarded by some beautiful birds. The problem is when the temps are freezing or below if the hen or cock leaves the nest for just a short time the eggs or chicks can chill and die. It seems the safe point is after the quills actually open into feathers that the chicks are able to survive on their on heat. I have tried taking baby in to a warm place for the cold nite but usually the parents won t take them back. I am looking at low single digits tonite. I expect to loose a few eggs and there are about four or five chicks in the critical stage ,keeping fingers crossed.
    still I would never advise anyone not to let the birds breed in the winter. Like I said I have had some great birds hatch out them.
    I am in Tn. Now but originally came from your area just across the line in Okla. What breeds do you have?

4. Uncle Bones

Uncle Bones New Egg

Jan 18, 2016
    They are both Janssen homers. I bought them through Stromberg's in may of 2015. They are young birds and this is their first time. I have probably created the problem by putting a 125 watt heat lamp in the loft at night when the temp's get below freezing.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] When I raised Birmingham Rollers, I would put hens and cocks together on Feb. 14. Generally within 2 weeks all pairs would be down on eggs. I always removed the first egg (replacing it with a wooden dummy egg) and put it back in the nest two days later when the second egg was laid. If I did not remove the first egg, frequently it became chilled and non viable. My biggest problem occurred if the weather was still cold when they started the next round. Some cocks would sit on the older young at night some would not. In my experience homers have a longer span between rounds of eggs than rollers, and your birds should do fine.

6. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  7. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    My homers etc always bred etc better in winter without heat, feeding wild bird seed, chicken layer pellets, and scratch grains. Mostly to only chicken layer pellets..
    I mostlty keep Birmingham rollers now. Hello from east tn okla-doodle-doo!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Spiritjewelz

Spiritjewelz Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Looks good. Anything special on the inside?

9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by