Winter heated waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lauren212, Sep 16, 2016.

1. lauren212

lauren212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    This is my first time having chickens. Where I libe the temperature can go to -30 and sometimes -40 degrees C over night. Most night aren't that cold but we sometimes have winters that are -20 for weeks. I have 5 chickens. What is the best heated waterer that I could make or buy. I am usually always home but one week in the winter I like to go away for a week somewhere warm so I would like a large enough reservoir so who ever checks in on my chickens doesn't have to fill water daily. Also, I will not be putting any heat lamp in the coop. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Murphy212

Murphy212 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    There are lot of ideas on this site for heated waterers. Do a search and you will be overwhelmed with the creative ideas people use. I don't live in an area that gets as cold as yours....I live in the southeastern US and I bought a 3 gallon electric heated bucket. I use a heavy weight extension cord and put it in the run. It has a thermostat in it so it only heats up when the temp falls below freezing. It works for my situation, weather, and coop/run but I don't know about yours.
    Maybe some of our Canadian friends will let you know what they use.
    Good luck this winter....-20 to -40 is way way out of my experience and comfort zone! :)

3. lauren212

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    I've done alot of searching but it's hard to sort out on the forums who is living in areas similar to mine. I was told by someone local that the red and white heaters will not work here and that they freeze solid at the top. I've been looking into the stock stank heaters or a deicer but don't know what everyone else is using. Also read a lot about the horizontal water nipples but not sure if those would freeze as well....

4. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    I don't think there is a way to keep nipples freed up in extreme cold. Ever with heat tape too much is exposed.

We don't get as cold as you but my rain catchment, cup waterer is going to have to go into storage come winter.

I have in the past used the heated dog dishes and found that to be my preferred method.

I would like to rig a cup waterer inside my coop, using an aquarium thermostat or something similar for the reservoir, and heat tape for the cup supply, but I'm dubious that it will work when the temps get sub zero.

5. lauren212

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    I'm ok with not using water nipples. Maybe I just need to buy one of the heated waterers and insulate the top of it to hold in the heat. I like the dog bowl but I wish it was larger.

6. tmarsh83

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN

I thought the same. I used it for three birds last winter and was surprised that it could last a few days.

It's not perfect but it's simple.

7. lauren212

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    Think this would work...if you took those small round and tall water jug coolers and placed it upside down inside the dogbowl slightly elevated from the bottom and cut a small hole in the top for filling. Kind of like making a reservoir. Maybe I will buy the dog down and test it out

8. tmarsh83

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    O

It would freeze. Too far from the heating element.

9. wamtazlady

wamtazlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Kalispell MT
    I use a 15 gallon see through plastic tote, a stock tank heater that is safe to use in plastic, and horizontal nipples. It kept my waterer thawed at -10 F which is -23 C. It was easy to see when it needed refilled and would keep my 14 chickens in water easily for a week. I have more chickens this year so may get a larger tote from Walmart.

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Heated Dog dish or heated Bucket will be good...I use the bucket for my ducks...I heat my Coop so my water never freezes solid..
    I know -40 all too well..Brrrrrr!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by