Winter Help!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sunnyfishy, Feb 14, 2017.

1. sunnyfishy

sunnyfishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2014
    This is my 4th winter with ducks, and it's easily been the very worst we've had to deal with for numerous reasons. We started the winter with more birds, which seemed like a good thing since they'd all help insulate each other warmth-wise and we're in NH where we've been getting a ton of snow and a lot of icy, very cold nights.

Winter started fine. Then we had waterer issues, so we'd be bringing out water a couple times a day and de-icing the bowls they drink out of, which led to some birds definitely eating snow, which I know isn't great. But they had water. They just apparently decided snow was easier. We didn't put in a heat lamp initially either, because we typically don't and it hasn't been substantially colder than other years, so we figured we wouldn't need to.

Beginning of this year, I wake up to 4 dead birds--3 were favorites we've had at least a few years now, and I'm just devastated. They all died in their sleep overnight, on a not particularly horribly cold night. I'm freaking out, we double down on waterer problems and get heated waterers again, and we watch the birds more carefully and feed them more. Fast forward to this week, and we've lost another 3 birds over 4 days. And this now with a heating lamp. What the HECK is going on?!?!

Any helpful suggestions would be awesome, I cannot figure out what we're doing wrong, and why it took 4 years to have these nightmare issues. I'm just beyond sad over the loss of these ducks, since a lot of the ones we lost were favorites and not just egg birds etc.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is sad.......only going to ask because you never stated.....
    What are you feeding? Do you provide grit?......do you have straw down?

3. sunnyfishy

Jul 15, 2014
    We do pine shavings in their house and they are walking around on snow at their leisure. They get grit with their feed I think more than once a week (I don't always feed them, sometimes the BF does), and we do purina chow from Tractor Supply, which is what we've used right along. I'm just confused by what is killing them :|

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Purina chow like in poultry feed?

5. sunnyfishy

Jul 15, 2014
    Lol yeah, I guess yeah, I should be clearer. Dumor layer pellet feed.

6. chickens really

Without seeing your Ducks and having all the details is hard to know exactly what could be killing them in numbers?

A vet would be able to help.......

Sorry, I'm confused too.......

7. sunnyfishy

Jul 15, 2014
    With the exception of one duck, they seemed to go peacefully in their sleep, and they weren't old or anything. They didn't look or act sickly prior to their untimely deaths, and this is literally the first time where we've had this happen. We have never lost a bird to anything but predators prior to this.

Their deaths were somewhat spaced apart after the first 4 died all at once which was truly horrid. Like, we had the last 3 all die about 3 days apart from one another. We don't even realisticall have another space to keep them al so if one were sick, we have a garage to keep an obviously sick duck safely apart from all the others.

8. chickens really

Very strange for sure.....I wish I could help you......

Sorry this is happening.....I love Ducks......

Cheers!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Could they be getting into some kind of toxin? @sunnyfishy have you looked around for anything out of normal in their area?

10. sunnyfishy

Jul 15, 2014
    Funny you say that--my property is blanketed in snow, but I live next door to my father and his current gf, who is ALL about feeding the birds leftovers. I think I need to make sure she knows what they can and can't have again, because I see her out there at least a few days during the week with food. I'd really kick myself to find out she's feeding them avocado or something :I

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by