1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter home for my girls ....

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ValleyviewRoost, Oct 20, 2014.

1. ValleyviewRoost

ValleyviewRoost Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    [​IMG][/IMG].

I know alot of people say that u don't need to hear the coop but last year in Canada it was a cold winter.....I think there quality of life is better with a little heat....I sacrificed a 3rd of my shed for the winter coop....I insulated it well and made sure there's proper ventilation too.....my leg horn layed an egg in there this morning so I think she's felling comfortable [​IMG][​IMG]

2. 123RedBeard

123RedBeard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2014
    Arizona
    Yes, I little warmth will make them happy ... And some extra light too!

Chickens have lots of feathers to keep them warm, but with arctic temps they need a little boost! Watch their combs don't get frost bite! 1 degree Celsius should be fine :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 as long as their coop is properly ventilated and has warm, dry bedding then they will stay warm especially since they have warm feathers.

Congrats on the eggs from the leghorn!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined the flock. Winter is a %^#%$#^%& word here, try not to hear, see it, think about it. Of course it still arrives with a vengeance but, sometimes denial helps. Like pretending all the piles of snow are just whipped cream and marshmallows until the guys from the funny farm come out with nets. [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

There is nothing wrong with a bit of "flash" heat....some quick heat in the early morning hours to help get them going. But the problem with heated coops is the birds can't get outside during the winter. Too much temp change from heated coop to sub zero temps. You might attach a run that you can board up or cover with some sort of plastic tarps to let in UV that might heat up the run a bit. That way they are not stuck in just the coop all winter. As Mountain Peeps has said, make sure you have plenty of venting. Bad air will cause respiratory ailments. And warm air next to cold air makes condensation. So just be aware of this.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Feathers are wonderful insulators and your birds should be fine. Just make sure that your coop is draft free and dry. Moisture is a much greater danger to them than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by