Winter home

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ValleyviewRoost, Oct 29, 2014.

1. ValleyviewRoost

ValleyviewRoost Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    [​IMG][/IMG]

I gave up 2/3 of my shed to make a winter space for my hens...I insulated the space and hope I have enough ventilation for them

2. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    [​IMG]

3. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    [​IMG]

4. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

You will need a couple vents at the top in the eaves or ceiling. 1 square foot per bird. Ventilation keeps them warm and dry. The birds are breathing and pooping all night and this moisture needs to go somewhere. If it doesn't have anyplace to go, it will fall back down on the birds as water or frost, causing all kinds of frostbite and wet birds. Ventilation is also very important for respiratory health. Stuffy air will breed all kinds of bacterial. So cut in some holes!! Make sure to cover all vents with hardware cloth and never shut them down completely, no matter how cold it gets. They need good air at all times!

You might also replace that roost bar with a 2x4, with the 4 side up. This way the birds can tuck their feet underneath their breasts and feathers. Will prevent frost bite on the feet. Warm feet mean warmer birds. You can also tack an old towel to the roost bar too to help keep them warmer.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  6. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    Both sides of the window opens....will that not be enough ventilation ....the chicken door will also be open all day.....there summer coop came with a couple roosting bars and I just went by there size ...[​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is your weather warm enough in winter, that you can leave pop door and windows open all the time? BTW Beautiful coop

8. ValleyviewRoost

May 19, 2014
    Guelph ontario Canada
    It can be pretty cold here in Canada ...I thought for ventilation I would leave the window open a bit and the coop door open so they can come and go during the day from there enclosed run do the food and water can be in the coop so it doesn't freeze [​IMG][​IMG]

9. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Ventilation is probably one of the most important things to have in winter. Without proper ventilation your birds will get frostbite, respiratory illnesses and other problems.
    Chickens can survive brutally cold temps as long as they are dry and out of all drafts. Sealing up all cracks in the coop and putting in about 1 square foot of vent space in the eaves per bird. Wind chills are merciless on chickens sleeping at night so make sure your coop is draft free.

Other things to do to help keep your chickens snug this winter include using straw as a bedding, using the 4" inch side of a 2x4 roosts. I also put a towel that has been in the dryer and put it on the roosts to warm their feet. Make sure that there is no water spillage or moisture collection on the bedding as this can also result in frostbite. On the very cold nights you should rub vaseline on the chickens' combs and wattles to help prevent freezing.
    Here's a link on frostbite and ventilation.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/frostbite
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-coop-ventilation-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

You don't need a heat lamp if you have ventilation, proper bedding, proper roosts and proper feed. In the winter you should be feeding your normal layer, grower or chick feed along with scratch as this will keep the birds warm especially if you feed it in the evenings.

Bedding that is warm and absorbent is also necessary. Wet bedding mixed with the cold temps and wind chills equals bad frostbite. So either use straw, shavings or shredded paper. Straw is possibly the best bedding to use in winter. Line the nests with straw to help prevent eggs from freezing. Bales of straw help act as insulation and keep the coop even warmer.

Heated water bowls are also imperative. Chickens drink non-stop in winter and they can't do that if their water is frozen! So either buy a heated bowl or use a heated base on the bottom of their regular waterer. I've also heard of people who place a 40 watt bulb in between bricks and then put the water on top in a bowl. Make sure the waterer isn't plastic.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by