1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter housing and water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PeterPaulandMary, Sep 28, 2010.

1. PeterPaulandMary

PeterPaulandMary New Egg

Sep 28, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to this group and have many questions. I have read several books and never got any clear answers. We live on 6 acres with 3/4 acre pond.
    1) I have one female and 2 male pekins that are completely free range (they just showed up one day - we were not prepared). What type of winter housing do they need? I believe they may only have survived due to the fact that they are not in an enclosed shelter.
    2) We do not have a winter fountain, do we need to get one for them to swim? What else would we/ could we do?

Thank you, in advance, for your help.

2. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    You don't say where you are from, that makes a difference for shelter.

They will need a draft-free place to go, with dry straw. I would get this ready so they are used to going into it before they actually need it.
    A water bowl is all they need- heated makes it easier for you, or else you will have to change it when it freezes. it needs to be deep enough for them to submerge their nostrils to keep them clear. They do not need to swim during the cold winter while their ponds are frozen.
    Also, make sure they have their food accessible where it will not become buried under snow.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by