Winter Housing for Silkies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lynzi777, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Lynzi777

Lynzi777 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    I would like to start by saying that I understand it is not necessary to bring silkies "indoors" during the winter months and that they can certainly remain outside in a well insulated coop with some extra straw to help keep them warm. I have decided this year to bring my small silkie/frizzle flock "indoors" and keep them inside my shed during the cold winter months. I have a few reasons for wanting to do this, one of which is because I want to separate them by who I want bred to who. So I have a lavender pair, a splash trio and two frizzle hens. I had plans to keep them in pairs (well except for the splash group) in a couple of the shipping crates that measure 2'x3' but after researching I realized this isn't large enough space to keep two in and it is recommended I give at least 5 square feet per bantam. Right now I have two of these rabbit hutch/chicken coops from Tractor Supply....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...heavy-duty-chick-n-hutch-2-4-chicken-capacity

They measure
    • 42-1/2 in. L x 28 in. W x 39 in. H (3.5ft x 3.25ft = 11.3 sq ft)
    Would this be a large enough living space for 2, possibly 3, silkies for just the few months they are going to be kept inside the shed? I want to keep them this way because when the splash hens and the lavender hen start laying, I want to be sure the splash were bred to just the splash and the lavender was bred to just the lavender and come spring time I have eggs to hatch that I know for sure what parents gave me.

2. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    hmm. the only thing i question is the wire floor removable? i don't like wire floors for birds but that is maybe just me. We have 3 groups of silkies here, but all will have access to outside, even in winter.

Anyway to build in the shed or you after removable? we built one coop inside a building then added a pop door and run.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  3. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT

Ohh sorry! I forgot to mention that IF this IS an OK housing arrangement for them for winter, I would place wooden sheets over the wire so they were on solid ground, not wire. I want to be able to still use shavings without the shavings falling thru the wire. :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I have two of those coops that I use as isolation coops. They are big enough for your silkies if they have access to a run or free range during the day.

5. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    No they wont have access to free range. My silkies don't free range during the day, ever. Right now their in a coop with a run attached but it is kept outdoors obviously. I want to be able to bring them inside the shed for the winter so that by Spring before I place them back out in their coop, I know my lavender hen's eggs are fertile by JUST my lavender roo and my splash hen's eggs are fertilized by JUST my splash cockerel, etc etc. So I'm using them for them breeding pens and winter housing for just December-Feb? Mar?. I brought my lavender pair to the hutch today and took a picture of them in it to get a visual as to just how much space they'll have. Here is a pic...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And again, they wont be on the wire - I plan to place a solid board in there for flooring if I were to go with this idea. But it seems as though this housing may be too small for them for a few months. [​IMG]

6. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Lindsay, The place with the solid board would work for 2 Silkies. But for the Winter Months you would want to put a heavy tarp on. We have the Barn and a run with a heavy tarp for Winter Months. Could you possibly keep the run and cover it with a tarp? Aria

7. Lynzi777

Mar 26, 2012
    Woodstock, CT
    Oh I wouldn't need a tarp because if I could use this set up these two hutches would go inside my shed safe from any freezing rain/snow fall. I may place something on the sides and leave the front open just to keep it a tad warmer for them so they have some type of insulation but other than that, the hutches will be brought "inside" from the winter weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by