1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

winter housing update

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by picklespickles, Dec 4, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    hey. all of my winter housing i made for various hairy brats has stayed up fine. the first few days were iffy and i had to make modifications. i quickly came to know why there is an f in modification.

but everything seems cool now. yeah.

except, for uh, billygoat has TODAY learned to open latch on gate. and i'm supposed to be away over night.

at least the way i found out was he was at my front door. so, at least he won't run away. the dog was right there beside him.

gotta find some wire for a stopgap measure. i'm thinking just wire the gate shut for right now and dont' worry about coming and going through it. that way i can just get on the road.

goats are freaky smart.

2. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    yes they are very smart...

3. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    My latch has a hole for a padlock. Maybe yours does as well.

4. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    i was looking at that. so. i was wondering if they would still be able to bang against it and lift it just that little bit for it to open. i haven't used a lot of locks before. may wire for right now and then get padlock for on way home.

5. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    They probably could my billy is a gate destroyer. I wish he would use the latch.

6. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    lol. i will send mine to teach manners.

he attempted to destroy a chainlink and was able to push the post some. not enough for him to get through but for dog. the dog is out there trying to play with him. the dog barks to get his attention, then goes and throws stuffed animals around the yard. lol. they are funny together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by