1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter in Canada

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by startingaflock, Oct 25, 2009.

1. startingaflock

startingaflock Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    I have a small flock, 2 partridge chanteclers, 2 dominiques and 2 americaunas. My coop is 4'X4' and is raised 2.5' off the ground. I have some ventilation and use about 4" of pine shavings on the floor. My question is, Do I need to insulate the walls or floor? I live in Southwestern Ontario. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

3. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Boy I sure would if I was you! It would be really easy to do with that small a coop. When we had really cold weather last year (for us---15 degrees or less) I wrapped the coop with fiberglass bats, then covered those with tarps, making sure there was still ventilation. It seemed to make a difference, and I slept better. Also see if you can rig a thermometer inside that you can read without opening up the coop.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It would be a very good idea to insulate (especially with that number of chickens in that size coop), although you could get through the winter without it if you HAD to. Since you do not have to, and since insulation will make your life and your chickens' life MUCH easier, I would strongly recommend doing it [​IMG] Don't forget to insulate the ceiling too, and make sure not to interfere with your ventilation.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat, not quite an hour north of Toronto

5. Klorinth

Klorinth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    You can make some small changes and make a big difference. Check out the info that Lynne and Pat have put together. You can also take a look at the threads that the three of us have been writing on. The three of us seem to like this topic. [​IMG]

I haven't put together a BYC page yet, but you can look at my coop thread.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=117878&p=5

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by