winter in spring! Should they stay in their coop?

what do I do for the next two days?

• Leave them in the coop and close the windows.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Leave them in the coop and crack the windows.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Open the coop door and let them decide.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (please tell me what you do!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jstlitlome

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Missouri
Yesterday was a beautiful 80 degree day. My chickies spent the whole day scratching happily in their yard.
big_smile.png
Today it will be 40 degrees. Tomorrow it will be 35 degrees (with possible snow!!!!!) before resuming spring again next week. Go figure. This has been a weird spring here in MIssouri.
sad.png

I just put my first 10 chickens out their coop late last week. They started in their new run two days ago and seem to love it! They are 9 weeks old. The coop has a heat lamp on.

So do I leave them in the coop all day? do I open the windows? My DH thought that the windows would be vent enough, which should be the case, but I worry that the coop will get too cold.

I think I am overthinking things!
idunno.gif

Leslie

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
At 9 weeks I’d leave the pop door open and let them decide if they want to go outside or not. If you give them that option, you might be surprised at what they choose to do.

And I never provide heat after five weeks, even with the overnight lows at freezing. At 9 weeks they don’t come close to needing that heat lamp.

jstlitlome

Songster
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Missouri
Okay, so I opened their coop door and gave them a fabulous treat in their coop. They all are currently outside in the 37 degree temperature, forgoing their treats. Go figure! Wow! They are all grown up!

Leslie

Top Bottom