Winter Incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LinckHillPoultry, Jan 19, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quick question everyone. I'm used to incubating my eggs in the spring or summer. Can I hatch eggs that were outside and had gotten cold? Doesnt it freeze and kill the embryos?

2. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    There was a recent discussion about this, probably in the last 2 weeks. You might be able to find it if you go back a couple pages...

But as I recall several folks said they had hatches from eggs that had gotten cold, including been in the refrigerator. Concensus was, I believe, if they don't freeze you've got a chance.

Best of luck !!!

Julie [​IMG]

3. Hi!
    My experience is that eggs that have been exposed to freezing temps for even a short length of time don't hatch well, if at all.
    How cold is your cold?

Lisa

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree with Lisa..any freezing temps and the possible embryos can be destroyed. In order to hatch the eggs, they must be collected very often to keep them from getting cold.

Jody

5. MaransGuy

MaransGuy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Greenfield, MA
    There are a lot of variables and different people will tell you different things. I think the eggs will be fine, especially if they don't freeze. Living in Massachusetts, our highs can be below freezing for a couple weeks at a time. I usually pull eggs in the moring and in the evening and don't have any problems with hatching. I think the embryons are far more sensetive to heat than cold

Richard

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The temperature and duration exposed will have a great affect on viability. Doesn't hurt to try, but the further from "ideal" the less chance there will be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by