1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter insulation for coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by joebwe25, Oct 12, 2007.

1. joebwe25

joebwe25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    What should we use for insulation for the coop this year?
    Several years ago we used tarps with Styrofoam behind them. (Big mistake!)
    All the chickens were EATING it! (Thought it was bread)
    Then last year I we used just tarps.
    That worked pretty well except we had to bring them in when it got extremely cold.
    So It's year three and what do YOU think we should use?
    I NEED your answers!
    Joe

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    ANYBODY?

3. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    what happens with regular paper or foil backed insulation?

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Joe!

I'm looking into using Tekfoil for insulation in our coops. Our winters are usually mild in Middle Tennessee but summers can be brutal so I think the tekfoil would be the best option for my situation. Hope this is some help!

Dawn

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

We used regular fiberglass batts in the walls and ceiling and covered it with luan wood sheets to prevent them from eating it. It kept the coop cool in the summer (never got above 85 inside even when it was pushing 100 outside). Hopefully is will work as well during the winter. Our coop was built weather tight with recycled double pane windows, wood siding and metal rooking. We do have some venilation in place for fresh air. We have electric in the coop so I can add a heat light if necessary in the winter.

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm going to use plastic this year. You can buy a huge roll at Lowes for like $50.00.

7. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    I'm using rigid board insulation in one coop but its sandwiched between 1/4 inch plywood and the metal roof

in our bigger coop I"m going to use a combo of fiberglass batting left over from our attic and rigid board the coop has a plywood exterior and I think i'm going to put up either paneling inside or thin plywood

8. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We use the foam board between plywoon. when it gets really cold we close there door and turn on a heat lamp. it worked down to -40 for us.

9. joebwe25

Feb 1, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo.
    [​IMG]
    Don't pay any attention to ginger, That's what we used last year, A tarp.
    It has to be temporary so we can take it out in the summer

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Why do you need to take it out in the summer? Are you covering open wire, instead of a solid wall, that you use for your ventilation in the summer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by