Winter is coming in New England... What Do I Feed My Chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by OpheliaChick, Nov 7, 2009.

1. OpheliaChick

OpheliaChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    CT
    I have lived in New England all my life but this will be my first New England winter with chickens. I free range my chickens through out the summer and am still doing such through the fall. I feed them lots of kitchen scraps and treats in addition to a layer feed that they have access to all day. My question is what do I feed them during the winter to mimic what they get from free ranging in the summer and fall? [​IMG] What do you other cold climate dwellers feed your chickens in the winter months?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I try to feed them alot of warm feed in the mornings to help them stay warm..(warm..but NOT too hot..or they can burn their crops....) oatmeal with feed and veggies and cracked corn mixed in it..
    You can buy fresh veggies and feed them that also in the winter..

3. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    If you live in a small town ask your local grocery store if you can have the fruit and vegies that they throw away because they just don't look good any more!

4. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Well, we don't free-range ours, but they continue to get the same food in the winter that they get in the summer. We brought them into the barn last winter, though, so it wasn't as cold. I just try to keep an eye on their weight and feathers to make sure that they are keeping themselves warm.

5. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I feed mine the same stuff year round. They have access to layer pellets all day. Then they get all the scraps from our deli. I don't change anything due to the cold.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    A well balanced poultry ration is all they need through winter. Oh, and water supply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by