1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Winter is coming...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ninjasquirrel, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    Its almost here. I can see the writing on the wall. Leaves falling...temperatures dropping. It will be here before we know it and my birds are not ready. We have run an electrical line out to the coop to be able to run various devises but have yet to decide on what to use. We know we want a light on a timer to insure egg production. We are not decided on a heat source but we know we want something for the water. We have had mild winters and harsh winters so id like to have a heat source connected to a thermometer so it only kicks on at a certain temp. As far as water we were thinking of using pvc with water cups.

Please post what works for your birds. Im continuing to do my research and im sure this is a topic on a lot of newbies minds. 20180511_071247.jpg
    Heres our coop in case you need a photo. We only have 8 birds. The inside is not insulated

2. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    You're going to need something to thaw your drinkers at least.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Your profile doesn't have your location and neither does your post so it is hard to give definitive advice till one knows your climate.

The drinker cups won't work below freezing. They'll burst unless you heat the building and any space that water is in the pvc.

4. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Where do you live? Adult chickens do not need supplemental heat. They need ventilation to prevent frostbite.....

5. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    My apologises. Climate zone 5 i believe northern indiana

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How many birds do you have? The coop looks tiny and with almost no ventilation.

7. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    There is ventilation on the south and north sides. We are thinking of installing computer fans on the vents to blow are out. As stated above we have 8 birds

8. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    For just a few birds, a rubber bowl with a birdbath heater will work just fine for liquid water.
    The building must be a lot bigger than it looks. What are the interior dimensions/square footage?

9. Ninjasquirrel

Ninjasquirrel Songster

May 11, 2018
    Floor plan is 16 sqft. 6ft tall to the peak. We were thinking an aquarium heater with the cup system but the bird bath heater is an excellent idea

10. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I use a heated dog bowl.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: