Winter Issuses with My Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KWSRetMSgt, Jan 24, 2014.

1. KWSRetMSgt

KWSRetMSgt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Ft Worth TX
    Yesterday when I went out to put my small flock of Ducks and geese to bed for the night I discovered to be missing one, She (Ballpark) was all alone in the garden area, acting kind of dazed, she even allowed me to get right up on her before moving. As I stood there watching her she started to shake her head gently at first then very vigorously. Followed by her spinning in circles, to me it looked as if she was having some sort of fit. I finally caught her and took her into the enclosed porch and kept her in there over night, she was pretty much non-active the whole night Idon't know if she ate or drank anything but it was available.

This morning when I was getting ready for work she was very active, noisy and had laid an egg. She seemed fine this morning, my question is what the heck could have made her act like that?

The weather here has been a lil screwier then normal, spring like one day 50's-60's then extreme cold the next 18's -19's. I'm wondering can the weather can make a duck act weird like that?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, weather can affect them. She could have been hypothermic. Do you have a place she can be kept warmer? It takes energy to make an egg, and energy to stay warm as you know, so I would give her some vitamins and find a way to support her little body in these trying times.

3. KWSRetMSgt

Mar 18, 2013
    Ft Worth TX
    Quote:Ok that's good to know, we were hoping that's all it maybe. because as I said this morning even though the enclosed porch isn't heated at night it's enclosed and as we all know staying out of the wind is half the battle to staying warm. And yesterday the wind was brutal I know, I work outside myself though out the day. So then I guess the decission to turn the heat lamps on to the others was a smart one last night. It's cold again today but no wind to speak of. Hopefully this screwy Texas winter will get over with soon and my girls can be good and healthy again. Thanks for your help KWS

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    These cold snaps can test our systems - our individual systems (bodies - I do outdoor work a good part of the year) and our little critters' bodies, and just our management. Our routine has really changed with the frigid air here now. The ducks don't get out much, though they get the opportunity a few times a day. But frostbite risk is high here now. I really do not want that to deal with.

Our storm shelter became the night pen, it just is easier that way - less disruption of the routine when it is nasty cold or nasty hot. And it's pretty secure, as long as yours truly keeps the door shut in the afternoons (a fresh little baby possum came in once, and chipmunks have tried to dash through the door. sigh.

I know the temperature in the night shelter does not go below 40F. That is a load off my mind. If you have a thermometer that can be a blessing. I have used one of those indoor-outdoor types with a wire, and run the wire into the shelter and set the monitor on the outside, so I can see outdoor temp as well as what it is inside where the ducks are. Very handy, don't have to open the door to check, letting the warm air out.

5. KWSRetMSgt

Mar 18, 2013
    Ft Worth TX
    Hello Again everyone,

Well my little girl (Ballpark) was doing really well, but a few days ago we found out she was really struggling to walk and keep up with the rest of the flock. (I'll have to take some pictures) I examined her feet and didn't really see anything wrong, the color looked good, I thought maybe she had gotten a lil frostbite. But her left leg she doesn't seem to want to put weight on, and when she does she throws her wing out as to help support herself. So now for the last three days we have her living on the enclosed porch, where it stays fairly warmer then being outside.

The weather here has turned again to the colder side, their calling for overnight lows of 15 for tonight (02/05/2014).

She also seems to be very light weighted compared to her sister duck of the same breed. It seems to me that she isn't eating enough to keep her going. I've placed her normal feed in the pen with her and it just doesn't seem like it's getting eaten. The wife gave her some cracked corn the other day and she said she ate that.

So right now what I'm attempting to do is I've added (Broiler Booster) to her water and were giving her more corn so she will eat something.

She's still laying an egg a day, but I'm concerned that maybe causing her even more problems while she's in the state she's in.

Any suggestions would be great. I'll try and get some pictures of her and her legs, I'm also thinking maybe she broke something and that's why she can't walk or stand.

OK everyone thanks again. KWS

Oh yeah can a duck develop spraddle leg even after their almost a year old? Because at first glance her left foot seems to be turned in slightly, and I don't recall it being that way before.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have a few runners whose legs seem particularly sensitive to cold. Sieben and Sechs have had times when, after being outside maybe 15 minutes, sitting on their legs to keep them warm, when I can them inside, they can barely use one of their legs. Very sad to see them almost swimming to be able to get any traction. [​IMG]

Once inside and warmed up, all is well.

The runners simply don't have as much down or body mass as the buffs. And ducks can develop arthritis. I do not think that is what we have, I think I just have some not so cold hardy ducks.

Laying places some strain on the system. Are you supplementing with calcium and vitamins? I would take that approach. I am not familiar with Broiler Booster enough to know what's in it. But vitamins are good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by