1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Layers?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Brandyberry_Chick, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Brandyberry_Chick

Brandyberry_Chick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2009
    Soemone told me that RIRs don't lay as much in the winter. What is a good breed that does? I have 2 RIRs, 1 Cherry Egger, 2 Isa Browns, and 1 BR

2. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Most chickens don't lay much, if at all, in the winter as the days get shorter. Chickens lay optimally when there is about 16 hours of light, like from spring till fall. This is when they lay the most.

You can "trick" them by adding lights to the henhouse to give them 16 hours, but that will wear them out in the long run. You're better off letting them have that "rest" that fall and winter gives them.

I've always gotten enough eggs throughout the year without cheating and I have RIR, buff orpingtons, and EEs.

3. jwchicklady

jwchicklady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Howell, MI
    isa browns should lay through the winter

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Brandyberry_Chick: All 6 of the ones you have should be fair winter layers. It all depends on weather/temps, day- light hours, feed type, and how long/when they molt, so many things to mention for good winter laying. Any type of larger, dual-purpose type will lay better through the cold season than the lighter breeds unless they are kept in a controled environment. The larger breeds will put on more fat and their size helps to control heat radiation. RIReds, New Hampshires, BR's, Wt.Rocks, BO's, Wyandottes, Brahmas, BA's, all of these large breeds are some of the ones that fair better in the cooler temps.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My RIR was my best layer last winter. I had an RIR, an EE, a BR, a barred leghorn, and two australorps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by