Winter Layers?

Brandyberry_Chick

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 18, 2009
Soemone told me that RIRs don't lay as much in the winter. What is a good breed that does? I have 2 RIRs, 1 Cherry Egger, 2 Isa Browns, and 1 BR

Most chickens don't lay much, if at all, in the winter as the days get shorter. Chickens lay optimally when there is about 16 hours of light, like from spring till fall. This is when they lay the most.

You can "trick" them by adding lights to the henhouse to give them 16 hours, but that will wear them out in the long run. You're better off letting them have that "rest" that fall and winter gives them.

I've always gotten enough eggs throughout the year without cheating and I have RIR, buff orpingtons, and EEs.

Brandyberry_Chick: All 6 of the ones you have should be fair winter layers. It all depends on weather/temps, day- light hours, feed type, and how long/when they molt, so many things to mention for good winter laying. Any type of larger, dual-purpose type will lay better through the cold season than the lighter breeds unless they are kept in a controled environment. The larger breeds will put on more fat and their size helps to control heat radiation. RIReds, New Hampshires, BR's, Wt.Rocks, BO's, Wyandottes, Brahmas, BA's, all of these large breeds are some of the ones that fair better in the cooler temps.

Back
Top Bottom