1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

winter laying habits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Horse-n-bunny, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Horse-n-bunny

Horse-n-bunny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Connecticut
    OK, so I had a light on timer for my 15 chickens from mid october until December 20. the light was on from 5 am until 7 am then again from 4:30 until 6 pm. i was getting 8 or 9 eggs a day. AFTER i turned the timer off (to let the girls rest up for the winter) I started getting 12 to 13 eggs a day. this makes no sense to me as the daylight is only 9 hours now here in connecticut and it is pretty cold...does anyone have any thoughts on to why this happened. Mind you I am not complaining, we love the fact that our girls make us breakfast everyday BUT it goes against anything I have ever read. thanks in advance for you thoughts.

~Horse~

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Your hens aren't aware of the 'rules'. [​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What are the time frames for when the light was on and then off.
    I think it takes several weeks for the light levels to have an effect.

How old are the hens? First year layers are less effected by light level and often lay all winter regardless of them.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    That's pretty funny. Do you ever check on them after your timer light goes out? I only add extra light in the mornings because if you have a light on at night the chickens will be roaming around scratching and eating and then in an instant it will be pitch black and they will be stuck on the ground to sleep. Chickens have terrible eyesight in the dark. Maybe they were a bit stressed not being up on their "safe" roost and that caused them to lay less? Just speculation of course maybe they were all on the roost before the light would turn off and I'm just blabbing. Either way I'd like to know if they were all roosting after their light shut off in the evening.

5. Horse-n-bunny

Horse-n-bunny Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Connecticut
    Ah good points both aart and mahlezeit. They are only about one year old so it makes sense they might lay through winter. But for the most part they were on the roost before light shut off at 6 pm. Maybe 1/15 was on ground looking for food but they were ready for bed when instant darkness came. I didn't think I would get any eggs in winter so this is a nice problem to have. ;)-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by