Winter laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    My chickens are young, around 17 weeks. This will be their first laying season..... I was wondering if they would lay through winter or wait till spring to start laying.... [​IMG]

2. card5640

card5640 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Bangor area, Maine
    Hello, you might need to extend their day light hours by putting a lamp in there for light an extra few hours at dusk.

3. RockinCRanch

RockinCRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2010
    Goodview, Va
    I give my birds between 14 and 15 hours of light per day. My coop is 10x12. I use a 25 watt bulb on a timer. The light is set to come on about 3:00 am so they can go to roost at dusk in the evenings. It worked great last winter. They slowed a bit but got plenty of eggs all winter.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Since they are first-year birds, when they're ready to lay, they will lay. 14 hrs of light may help, especially if you're in a area where there is less than 11 but they still will give you eggs when they're ready. I emphasized the "when they're ready" because it just may be a bit later than you might be expecting.

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My pullets are laying age. One started laying about 2-3 weeks ago. I think they'll probably start laying but won't keep up for long w/the cold weather, shorter days etc. I would def. put a heat lamp in their coop. [​IMG]

6. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    I have a heat lamp- I leave it on all the time..... should I not do that? Im new to chickens, sorry if I sound dumb [​IMG]

7. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

Two of my chickens were that age when they started laying in the fall. They continued through winter. I live in the bay area where winters are mild and we still have sunny days in between showers. We usually average about 10 hours a day. I would not use lights. I believe that chickens should follow their natural cycles. Their bodies need the rest. Just my opinion.

Mary

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by