Winter light and geese question.

Tivona

Songster
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
Oregon
Hi everyone.
How much extra light can geese tolerate in the winter? I have my duck pen right next to the goose pen and I do supply light at night to the ducks which are Golden 300 Hybrids. Some of the light does shine into my goose pen near the gate and they seem to like sleeping right there. I am not sure if they like it because of the light or because its next to the gate. My winters are usually fairly mild and my ducks lay all year round with only a brief slow up during molting and the duck eggs are important to me. I have 3 solar lights, two shining away from the geese, and one that hangs shining down and its light does go into the goose pen. The lights go off when the battery charge goes down...usually between midnight and 4am depending on how sunny the weather is. None of the lights are very bright but the combo is good at illuminating the whole duck yard. I can't really reposition the two pens to be farther apart. Anyone think the light will be a problem?

There's a good chance it will cause the males and females to become fertile out of synch, and to cause early molt.

Clint

So does just seeing light shining cause the molt and fertility or does the light have to shine on them directly, such as them standing in the light? I could with a bit of work get the light to shine away from their pen but they will still see some of the duck yard... I do have a border about 3 feet high in between the goose and duck pen so unless they stretch up they can't see into the illuminated yard directly, but the light which is higher shines over the barrier into the edge of the goose pen. Could putting a piece of plastic over the top side of the pen to diffuse the light help? Its not really bright but does give a little bit more then a full moon type of illumination where it is shining directly.

ack...That is not much light. I guess I'll be doing some fiddling with my set up. See if I can get more of the light shielded somehow. Thanks for letting me know.

A reference I have handy is:
Bluhm, C.K. 1992. Environmental and endocrine control of waterfowl reproduction. Pp 323-364 in Batt, B.D,J., et al. Ecology and management of breeding waterfowl. Univ. Minnesota Press.

For ducks: Scott, ML, and W.F. Dean.1991. Nutrition and management of ducks. ML Scott Publ., Ithaca, NY. 177pp.

Clint

Thanks, Clint.

Since the Univ. Minn. Press isn't easily accessible all over any chance you could quote the work you're citing here?

Back
Top Bottom