1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Lighting Setups

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by enggass, Sep 7, 2010.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    I live in New England and was thinking about a lighting setup for the winter. Mostly just to provide a little light during the short days. I currently have no power in my coop, but am thinking of running an extension cord just for the few winter months... Is anyone doing anything similar? If so, what is your setup? What kind of extension cord and light are you using?
    I really don't want to run permanent power out to the coop. (about 50' from my house...)
    Ideas?
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Go to the SEARCH section and put in coop electric and you should find lots of info.

I was in the same boat last fall. About 40 foot from garage to coop. I ran a outdoor rated fairly heavy cord I got from Home Depot out to coop. at coop under eaves out of the weather put in a 3 foot drop cord that had 3 outlets. ran this through wall of coop. so when plugged in I had 3 outlets for that coop. Only used 2, 1 for timer to run winter light for laying. Other for heated dog dish to keep water from freezing.

You will do just fine.

3. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks. What kind of timer light was it?

4. jzarabs

jzarabs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    We got our timer connection at Home Depot, has 2 electrical outlets and a time you can set for various times or depending on sunrise/sunset it just needs to have it's sensor exposed to light. The husband did a similar thing, ran a heavy duty extension cord from the patio to the coop, all the exposed connections are inside the dry, weather proof coop. It worked very well for us last winter, I just need to replace the bulb and it's ready for this winter!

ETA: We just used the standard metal heat lamps with the usual bulbs plugged into the electric timer....no special light needed! And the timer was very reasonable, can't remember how much but the husband won't spend more than $20 on any particular item related to the chickens [​IMG] (a little sarcastic with that one!)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  5. Lifestyle Lift Journey

Lifestyle Lift Journey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2010
    How about those solar garden lights to hung around your coop? You don't have to use the cord this way.
    The long listing lights collect energy from the sun, and if it's not enough sun, you can always use normal batteries (AA size or similar) to provide electricity.
    You can trick chickens with the garden lights when the day is shorter.

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    I use a regular lamp timer for mine. U can set time on& off in am and again in pm. They use the timers to deter burgulars and also for xmas lites. [​IMG]

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I use a Light Stick (or Stik) which is a 40w florescent fixture the includes it's own plug-in cord and an on/off switch. I plug it into a duel timer that turns lights on/off in am and pm. The light lasts me about 2 years the timer is on about it's 10th even in the dusty conditions of the coop. I doubt a solar lights would work for you, you're further north than I am and they wouldn't be reliable here during the winter.

BTW be careful laying an extension cord if it goes along the ground, it may be hit by snowblower or snow shovel. I'd suggest you, somehow, string it. Of course make sure it is as heavy duty as you can buy at least #12 wire and three-plug.

8. JustOneMore

JustOneMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:So we don't need any special UV lights? I am thrilled that florescent lighting works for you as that is what we are planning to use!

I ABSOLUTELY agree on solar powered lighting in the northeast. We have a solar powered outdoor security light that gets FULL sun. That darned thing doesn't work for beans in the winter months in upstate NY.

Does anyone following this thread use the water heaters that are designed to go under metal "poultry drinkers"? We are using deep litter shavings for bedding and I thought that putting one of those on a couple of cement blocks would be a good system for ensuring that the girls have access to water 24/7. (We have 20 so I don't think a heated dog dish will be large enough.)

9. enggass

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
  10. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    We did that last year, we just used heavy duty outdoor extension cords to two of our coops, and then we had some heat lamps hooked up. It was really helpful because we put their water under the heat lamps, and we didn't have to worry about it freezing. My husband anchored those heat lamps really well using zip-ties, that way they were totally immobile. It worked perfectly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by