1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter Maintenance

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sara728, Oct 14, 2013.

1. sara728

sara728 New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    Wisconsin - Fox Valley
    Hi there,
    I have 3 barred rocks and live in WI. We have a 'tractor' style coop, but it is open and the hens are free range. The coop is light enough for me to move it a few feet every so often to clean up the area underneath. This works fine in the warm weather, but when it gets cold and the snow flies it gets tricky because for one thing, the chickens spend a lot more time in their run (to keep their feet out of the snow) which means more mess in the run than usual. And the run froze to the ground and I was unable to move it and clean up. So, I'm trying to figure out what to do this winter. I'm considering putting the four corners up on blocks, so the whole frame doesn't freeze to the ground. Any other suggestions to keep it moveable during the bitter Wisconsin winters?
    Thanks,
    Sara

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I think the blocks are a good idea. I think I would use the deep litter method too.

Caroline

3. sara728

sara728 New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    Wisconsin - Fox Valley
    Thanks Caroline.
    I usually don't put anything down in the run , as it's on the grass. But, maybe for the winter I could use a layer of shavings...

4. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    We used to have a small moveable coop like you described, and in winter we covered the run and put about a foot deep layer of shavings in run. Keep in mind that grass underneath will be gone, come spring. We hated this set-up, and ended up building a much larger stationary coop and letting chickens free range in large fenced yard.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by