1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Winter molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrganicMamma, Jan 3, 2013.

1. OrganicMamma

OrganicMamma Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi, thought I would gather from the enormous expertise on BYC.
    Is a mid-Dec molt possible? My one girls looks like she is going through a hard molt that started a couple weeks ago. Which is kind of wierding me out. Where I live in Ontario we have 2 feet of snow on the ground and it's cold outside! I'm a little worried about her well-being and well, staying warm. We don't have mites or lice or anything, and they are organically fed + spoiled with lots of treats. Is it a freak molt? Or something else?

2. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Mine are molting too. The cold triggers the molt from what I understand. Seems normal to me.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    It is very possible to have a December molt. I thought all my birds were done but then my Black Star and my Red Star are just now starting to grow back feathers - and it's cold out there! All of my others were done and re-feathered. The molt is triggered by the decreasing minutes and hours of daylight - it stimulates the birds to shed feathers and regrow new ones - it's not as dependent on the cold.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes they can molt in December. It all depends on when they started laying and when they were born.

5. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I have some that are molting too. It is cold here although very little -0°f . Those poor chickens :( they look so cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by