Winter Molting Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Chickens' Maid, Dec 7, 2009.

1. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Our chickens are molting now; one in particular is really bad. I was wondering if I should turn their lights off and let them go to bed when the sun goes down? Does that help molting? Thanks!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can't think of any reason it would make a lot of difference one way or another if you are talking about a few extra hours of light. As long as they are getting sufficient food they should be fine either way. Maybe a few extra hours of light would help them eat a little more? If you're keeping the light on 24/7, yes, I'd turn it off and let them get more rest. They do need some downtime, but they only get 7 or 8 hours of dark in the summer and do fine. I don't think they need excess downtime.

3. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Thanks for responding! They are getting a lot to eat now. They stuff themselves every day, and they get more hours of sleep than any of us humans! [​IMG] The hen with the most severe molt is about halfway through. They don't usually have molts this obvious; usually their new feathers just grow in under their old feathers, with more gradual feather loss. I'm thinking maybe some scrambled eggs for protein.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My chickens LOVE scrambled eggs.

I have 1 who is about halfway through her molt. The feathers are starting to grow back in now. I was worried about her because the past 2 nights have been down to 20 degrees, but she put herself between 2 poofy girls and she was fine.

I noticed yesterday that my BR is now losing feathers. So she's starting a molt too now.

Both of them are only 9 months old. I didn't expect a molt so soon. Why they choose the coldest time of the year to molt, I have no idea. [​IMG]

5. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    How often does a chicken normally molt in a year?

6. Orpstralope

Orpstralope XL College Raised Eggs

Oct 11, 2009
    Boone
    Oh, and my chicks love their own eggs too! this morning I hardboiled them for them and they went nuts. I usually give one egg per two chickens - seems to be enough. They get eggs about 2 or 3 times a week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by