Winter moulting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lauren212, Feb 2, 2017.

1. lauren212

lauren212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    I live in northern Ontario. I went on vacation for a week and kept my chickens inside the coop instead of letting them out in the pen. When I was gone it was the mildest week ever. About 5 degrees Celsius. Normally it's -20 here or colder. I noticed that they are loosing a lot of feathers now...ones head has lost a ton of feathers. I have 5 chickens and they are about 10 months old. It's like a chicken exploded and feathers are everywhere. I have no heat in my coop or additional light. Is this normal and will I have to add heat if they loose too many feathers?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    At 10 months old, I doubt they would go through a molt severe enough to have to worry about them not being able to keep warm. When my birds under a year old molt, it's generally a quick, light molt.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've got a few pretty raggedy looking 10 month olds molting now...mostly necks and tails.
    I don't heat either, they should be fine.
    Give em some extra animal protein to help grow feathers out faster.
    They may act a bit lethargic and want to stay away from the other birds,
    those new feathers coming in are 'uncomfortable'.

4. lauren212

lauren212 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2016
    Ontario
    What kind of food do you give. I'm currently feeding 16.5% organic layer mash. I was fermenting it in the summer but I stopped. Maybe I should start again?

Pic of sad looking chicken. [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Increase the protein more. Either by a feed with higher protein, or supplement with meat scraps, mealworms, etc. They need the protein to grow in feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by