Winter on the farm

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mlorne, Dec 9, 2010.

1. mlorne

mlorne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    Good morning all!

I finally managed to pull myself away from the snowblower to collect some photos this morning. Just north of Toronto here, and we have had close to 2 feet of snow since Sunday evening. Today was the first clear day, but bitterly cold:

[​IMG]

Down at the 'barn coop' things have been good. The outdoor run (now enclosed in plastic vapour barrier) is holding up well. I added a roof a while back using 2x4's on 24" centres and two layers of vapour barrier. It is holding up quite well, despite the 20" of snow on top:

[​IMG]

The run itself is staying bone dry:

[​IMG]

Inside the coop, the girls seem quite content. I haven't needed the heating mat under the water, but I did last night: rock solid frozen this morning. Despite that, no signs of distress, and there were 6 eggs waiting in the nesting box:

[​IMG]

Despite the bitter cold outside (-20C/-3F), it was a relatively balmy -5C/20F inside the coop. Not too shaby!:

[​IMG]

After the work was done, I couldn't resist going for a quick ski into the back 40:

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

Michael

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Whoa, you must be up towards Barrie/Orillia/Gravenhurst? Or in that plume that was going down from Peterborough-ish towards Quinte? I'm in Uxbridge (which also counts as "just north of Toronto") and we only have *maybe* 4" on the ground and it's a very FLUFFY 4" at that. I am not even remotely complaining of course!

Very scenic. Enjoy your snow. Heh heh heh [​IMG]

Pat

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

We're hearing lots about the storm from an urban perspective, but your photos give us the important info- thanks for sharing them. Our coops are in a barn too, albeit smaller and we roofed the sun, and last month we added snow boards and some vinyl sheeting against the windward side. You're right, it makes a huge difference. [​IMG]

4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    It is just cold here! No snow. We see so little of it, though it has been in the teens in the mornings.

Thanks for sharing the photos! It is so wonderful to see everyone else's set ups in this frozen time.
    I like to know I am not the only one having to endure it.
    And I hope we don't see any more teens, though the winter has just begun![​IMG]

5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:it start to early over there.

we got down to 14 above this fine morning. no yet in tenn

6. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    Beautiful place you have, do you do any hunting?

7. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Beautiful. I miss snow. You have some contented looking chickens there, who have a great place to live!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by