Winter outdoor protection

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Nov 7, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Your duck shelter looks really nice! I was thinking of building something close to your first picture. I am planning to build it next spring though. I have a large covered pen for bad winter days of which I don't expect to have too many so I need it for the summer sun. My ducks love to find places to all lie under together.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looks good![​IMG]

4. katharinad

It's getting really fast cold here. Had our house painted outside last week with temps in the upper 60's to low 70's. Up here they use paint that can be applied at 35 degrees. What a change to what they used to use. Today it just barely made it into the 40's and I had to work some more on the duck shelter. Ran out of cedar fence boards, so I have to get more to finish it. Snow is already in the forecast for tomorrow night. I think I have to convince my husband to go to town tomorrow and buy more. I don't want to wait for snow to be on the ground. I will post pictures once it it done. All I did today was nail down the floor and put the slats on the sides. Our ducks will be really cozy in there with hay down.

5. quiltbea

quiltbea Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    Southwestern Maine
    I read that indoor space for ducks should be a min of 3 sq ft per bird.
    Your 6 x 3 footer is 18 sq ft so only enuf for 6 birds comfortably.

I only know what I read since I don't have any ducks yet but am trying to learn all I can to be ready this spring.
    Good luck with the building chores.

6. katharinad

x

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  7. quiltbea

quiltbea Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2009
    Southwestern Maine
    I didn't realize about the big duck house. You are a good parent, thinking about their comfort even while they are enjoying their outside hours. A great plan.
    I hope to see pics of them lazing about in the winter sunshine outdoors.

8. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I live where it gets really, really cold, and I cram my ducks/geese in together in a relatively small space. it helps them keep each other warm, and yes I have to shovel it out more often, but it's really good to keep them warm.

9. katharinad

Yes, they are pampered and demand their rights. [​IMG]
    Our temps are already down into 20's at night, so they do need some help in winter. I still give them a kiddie pool, but we have to break up the ice in the morning with a stick. Can't fill it up in the morning due to the hose being frozen. They don't mind at all to go into the cold water with ice floating in it. We will see for how long this will work. After that it only will be the concrete mixing tubs with warm water. The main goal is to prevent frost bite to their feet, but I think we will be fine with the hay covered areas they can go into. They are a hardy bunch after all.

10. MrsDuck

MrsDuck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Western WA
    Quote:This always amazes me. We go out and break up the ice with them standing by, "Quack! Hurry up! I want to swim! Quack!" and then they jump right in. BRRRR!!!

I actually bought a defroster thing this year so they can have wet water all winter. Spoiled! Spoiled! Spoiled! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by